At the start of its establishment in 2022, UTHM SWIFT was tasked to organise conferences on behalf of UTHM faculties and divisions. The first two conferences that were organised by UTHM SWIFT were the the Regional Conference in Geotechnical Engineering (Geotropika) 1994, together with six other agencies in Melaka, as well as the 5th Seminar on Integrated Engineering 1994, together with the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science and Vice Chancellor’s Council (JSPS-VCC).
UTHM SWIFT was also tasked to organise in-house trainings and professional development programmes in collaboration with UTHM faculties and divisions.
Between 1993 and 1998, UTHM SWIFT offered:
• A preparatory certificate for real-estate agents with UTHM Faculty of Geoinformation and Real Estate, and
• Five certification programmes with UTHM Faculty of Management in Management, Arabic studies, Islamic studies, English skills in counselling services, and Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL)
• Five short courses in
• Gas Chromatography
• Environmental Engineering for Non-Engineers
• In-Situ Assessment and Repair of Concrete Studies
• Bumiputera Contractors
• Traffic Survey and Analysis
The UTHM SWIFT line of short courses were well received by its stakeholders, with a total of 9 short courses organised for the police force, ACA, Ministry of Defence, KuiTTHO staff, Shell and Malaysian Shipyard and Engineering (MSE) consortium, and the public.
UTHM SWIFT also became the host for the inaugural conference on Engineering Education (CEE ’04), in conjunction with 100 years of engineering education at UTM.
Given the good response, UTHM SWIFT established the Professional Development Unit (Unit Pembangunan Professional) in 2004, in order to meet the increased demand in short courses, professional certificates, workshops, seminars and conferences. It also launched a directory which featured over 250 short courses in collaboration with UTHM faculties.
The following are a sample of clients engaged for professional development programmes from 2013 to 2017: